Applying your skin care products in the correct order ensures that your skin receives the full benefits of each product.
For instance, face creams prevent serums from absorbing into the skin. Products with more active or concentrated ingredients need to be closer to the skin in order for proper absorption.
Keep reading to find out the 3 golden rules to follow & how to properly layer skin care products
3 GOLDEN RULES
1. Always apply products in the order of thinnest to thickest consistency (water-based–> oil products)
2. Face oils should always be the last step. Oil can penetrate moisturizers, but moisturizers cannot penetrate oils. Therefore, products will not absorb as effectively if applied on top of oil. Also, oils act as a barrier to lock in hydration from the previous products applied.
3. During the day, keep your skin care routine simple. At night you can complicate it by exfoliating & masking a few times a week, adding skin care actives such as retinol, etc., & heavier face balms.
If you do not have all of the products below, it does not mean you have to run out and get them. Although, I would recommend adding a toner to your routine if you do not have one.
If you do not have a particular type of product mentioned below, skip it and move on to the next product. This guide lays out the order if you do have the maximum amount of products, but the steps can be minimized depending on your custom routine.
1. Gentle Cleanser
3. Clear Spot Treatment on Acne, if needed
5. Eye Cream
6. Moisturizer with Sun Protection, unless your makeup contains SPF
- Apply AFTER sunscreen dries (to prevent diluting SPF)
- Lightly pat (don’t rub) 1-2 drops onto normal or dry skin- this will help seal in moisture
- If you are more prone to breakouts, save the treatment oil for bedtime
1. Double Cleanse
- Remove Makeup: with micellar water, oil cleanser, or makeup remover
- Cleanser: If you own multiple face cleansers, use the one that provides more exfoliation (example: a gel cleanser as opposed to a milk cleanser)
2. 1 – 2x Week:
- Exfoliate & Mask: Both should be done at night if possible. The skin can be sensitive afterward, especially to sunlight and other toxins we come in contact with during the day.
4. Spot Treatment, if needed
6. Eye Cream
7. Moisturizer or Heavier Face Balm
8. Oil, Lightly pat (don’t rub) 1-2 drops